Pages

Monday, June 24, 2019

Rainy Days & Mondays Always Get Me Down

Yesterday had me thinking of that song.  Rain, rain and more rain.  Add in a wicked stomach ache and, basically, I did nothing but lay on the couch and stitch.  Last week, I finished the Coxcombs and Berries block from Barbara Brackman's Hospital Sketches.  Just barely in time to start Pineapples before she issues the block after that...
I also started working on a series of displays for Jackmans.  They are due in August but they're all embroidery.  They're going to take a minute.  This first one is really cute, the Welcome Friends panel is removable.  You can unsnap and replace it with Home Sweet Home.  When it comes back, I plan on making a ruder version.  Rich is lobbying for "Fu** Off", with flowers, naturally.
During my convalescing yesterday, I got to work on my crazy quilt bird project.  I can't seem to finish one block all at once.  I tried with the lovebirds but then thought it looked forced.  So, I took off a button cluster, added ribbon work to the birds, embroidered the clover, added the metal bird toggle thing and re-did that seam.  I like it a lot better now.  It's cleaner.
Then, I finished a beaded oak leaf for the cardinal.  It's not quite what I imagined, but good enough.  I didn't have enough variety of gold beads to do my vision but also was too cheap to buy more.
I did a Pinterest search for bird embroidery ideas and this pineapple came up.  I loved it, saved it for a another time but then realized my flamingo could use a pineapple.
Last but not least, I added star sequins to my eagle block.  I did red/white rose garland around the eagle and embroidered some fireworks.  I think I need to add some beads to the fireworks so they sparkle.  And, I think I'll bring the garland in to the picture where they've printed the roses.  I've got a really cool, vintage Statue of Liberty button on order.  The same shop also had a flamingo locket that really wanted to come live with me as well.  So, I'm excited about that.
Now, to stop spending money on buttons!  I've got a trip to Ireland to save for!!!  We've got our tickets!!  The first thing I did was contact a tattoo artist in Kilkenny.  I'm a big fan of her floral/ watercolor work and am really hoping she's got an opening while we're there.  Fingers crossed.  I've purchased waterproof boots and tennies.  Mostly for Ireland but honestly, we've had so much rain, it was a good investment for home, too.

3 comments:

  1. I love that beaded leaf and I think any button you decide to bring home will absolutely love wherever you sew it! As for the tattoo? I'm still chuckling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fun to read your posts Heather - this time I'm rather fascinated with the idea of the tattoo artist search in Ireland. Not everybody travels to Ireland to get a tattoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was thinking, what's a really unique momento? And, a tattoo seemed like fun!

      Delete