Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Tryin' To Make a Dolla!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I've been eager to try something new in baking lately.  Seems like I've done what I can do with a cupcake and wedding cakes without weddings is weird.  So, I've decided to improve my Sugar Cookie game.  I tried out 2 dairy free recipes so that Bethany can have some.  One recipe was shortening, the other was actually Vegan and used coconut oil.  Shortening was the clear favorite, although there's no true replacement for butter, as long as it won't kill you...

I struggle with icing consistency, so I wanted to start out fairly simply.  I did get lazy at the end and used my flood frosting for the vines and leaves.  Big mistake.  Next time, I need to remember to set aside stiffer frosting before I add water to make the flood frosting.


Just a cute pic of Mr. True protecting his ball from Rich.
So, I was going to name the post "It's Tough Out Here For a Ho" but decided I should be classier than that... Vicki R convinced me to approach Jackman's Fabrics about teaching classes.  I had mixed feelings.  First, because I have my little shop and felt like it would be a conflict of interests.  They apparently are not feeling the least bit intimidated by my business and have accepted all of my ideas for classes.  LOL.  One of them will be Crazy Quilt Block Design, we will explore designing the block itself in  and a second class will focus on embellishments, both machine and hand.



A second idea was Stupendous Stitching.  We'll be exploring what our sewing machines can do with a little hand beading and embellishing added to it.
I'll be teaching my Spool Bunting pattern, also available in my Etsy shop.
Finally, I'll be offering this Machine Applique Tulip pillow.  I'll keep you updated with dates when they release the schedule.
Barb N. and I finally got together to work on her first quilt!  She finished the top and it turned out fantastic!  Now to get it sandwiched, quilted and bound!  Hopefully before Christmas, fingers crossed.

Last Saturday at The Applique Society meeting, we made felt trees.  So cute!  Thank you Dana D.!  She hand dyed the wool and gathered everything we needed.  So much fun!  I finished mine up while nursing Bethany after her Wisdom Teeth surgery (the pill bottles).
In other news, I got my Art Nouveau quilt back from Jane H.  She did an amazing job!  I don't know if the quilting is very visible in the photos.  I hope you can see all her hard work.
She outlined all the applique, did swirls in the background and matched the fabrics on the larger applique pieces.


My only request was to do what I considered to be a "cathedral window" style border.  Not sure why I keep calling it that, but there you have it.  She had NO idea what I meant by that and then had a different name for it that I still can't remember.
I'm absolutely in love with the quilt!  I'm even considering applying to Paducah with it... The designer, Morning Glory Designs has already granted permission.  I have to get it bound and properly photographed by 12/6, I think...  Seemed like that was awhile from now, but actually only 2 weeks.  Ugh.

Any who, my day job won't be offering my favorite schedule this year (seasonal layoff) but they did offer extra days off in December to soften the blow a bit.  So, hopefully, I'll get my act together and get some sewing done this winter.  I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. Your tree turned out so cute! Can't wait to finish mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much wool left over! Enough to make a second tree!

      Delete
  2. So many things to admire in this post, but of course that Art Nouveau quilt is the most amazing! I really hope it gets accepted into the show because it certainly deserves to be. And the tree is just plain cute! Good luck with your classes - I'm sure they'll be a huge success.

    ReplyDelete