Friday, January 22, 2016

Roberta Anne with an "E"

I'm finally done-ish with Roberta Anne, With An "E".  It's not quilted but the top is done!  I thought I'd do a little recap of the months only to realize I never  posted a couple of the blocks to begin with.  The pattern name is really Bertie's Year but my mom's name was Roberta.  So, I imagined that I convinced my mom to wear a silly hat every month for a year.  However, she wasn't what you'd call a silly woman.  I was known to convince her of a lot of things that weren't in her best interest.  Like pink carpeting.
I couldn't get May to post in it's proper slot, so just pretend it's all in order...  May was one of my favorites.  I can just imagine convincing my mom to wear a flower hat on her head.  Incidentally, I had a hat like that for Halloween back when the kids were in pre-school.

Mom was married 4 times, so being courted wasn't that far of a stretch for her.

March was the whole reason why I wanted to do this quilt in the first place.  I just LOVED this bee stripe & hive.  So, cute!
Honestly, who hasn't worn bunny ears.  You know you did.

I love anything with a strawberry on it.
Mom was a tomboy, so I can totally see her challenging her boy cousins or brothers in a watermelon seed spitting contest.

Here's where I lost interest.  I just couldn't get into the pear and bandana.  Also, dark orange was never a favorite color.  And, why no cute hat?  It took me a couple months to get up the interest to finish when I got to it.


September perked up a little.  I like the acorn hat.  I also like the funky teal leaves.

October was supposed to have a jack-o-lantern face but I hated it.  So, I kept it as whole pumpkins.  Major kudos for the candy corn hat, though!  Another thing I like about the pattern is that each month has a different format for the 1/2 square triangles.  Reminds me how much can be done with a triangle.

November is sweet but I should have given her a Pilgrim hat.  Mind you, I can't draw for crap but I might have managed.
Why no Santa hat??  And then, I realized I used the same reds in December as I did in July.  Dang it.

My original plan was to get more of the background fabric and do the sashing with it.  Then, the stars were going to be all different colors.  But, they were out of the background fabric and replaced it with an almost identical print.  It was larger and less detailed.  Close but not the same.  So, I cut up the fabric I was using for the car embroidery quilt and used it for sashing.  Then, platinum stars.  I thought the different outer border was fine, as long as they did't touch.

I'd like to get it quilted before I go back to work but I don't think I'm going to have time.  At least I have an empty project box now!


  1. What a beautiful quilt Heather! You did a great job! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

  2. I love it! Thanks for the recap - I really enjoyed seeing all of the blocks together! You did a fantastic job. Gorgeous!!!

  3. Such a fun, fun post! This quilt is filled with whimsy and delight! Your birds, in different guises are a treat. Who would've thought the humble triangle could show up in so many patterns. Oh and about the pink carpet....I can't imagine anyone not wanting to warm their floors with such a delicious colour. How lucky were you to have pink a wee bit jealous. =)

  4. This is a gorgeous quilt. Pretty colours and the designs are unusual and interesting.