Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Bitch Is Crazy, the Odyssey Continues

Hi there!  I've been deeply embedded into my new obsession.  I've been taking Kathy Shaw's free crazy quilting classes. I'm taking #4 now and I start #5 on  Monday.

This current one is Fabric Embellishments.  My most recent task was embellishing a silkie.  Then, I had to frame it.  Naturally, she wanted us to show that we could frame it in a way that balances the entire block.  Which meant I had to finish the whole block.

Not sure why I made such a big block...
I used Joyful Embellishments on Facebook for some inspiration.  And, Take A Stitch Tuesday.
 I learned how to do all the ribbon embroidery in previous classes.  Same with the spider web.
This wreath was one of the Joyful Embellishments I saw and knew I'd have to use.
 We learned to do monograms in a previous class.  I'm telling you, these classes are amazingly informative!  I do like these ribbon letters.  I tried to do a Laverne and Shirley "L".

The tumbling daisies are from Joyful Embellishments, too.

I had been inspired a few years ago to make a crazy quilt inspired by my life.  The name was going to be Bitch Is Crazy.  I really felt like I needed to know more about the techniques before I got to my life's story. So, I put it off and put it off.
This motif was from Pinterest.  I just searched crazy quilt motifs and this one came up.  I sort of free handed the fines based on the picture I saw.

The giant rose was a woven rose made with ribbon I dyed in another of Kathy's classes.  I also dyed the green leaves, and tiny roses on the silkie.

I used a pink heart bead to try to make a rose bud.  Not sure if I was super successful, but I tried.


So, if you've ever wanted to go on the crazy quilt journey, I HIGHLY suggest you go to Shawkl.com and sign up for one of her free classes.  She takes donations, if you feel moved to donate but otherwise the classes are free.  There are a lot supplies to purchase.  Especially the dyeing class.  That  one cost me about $50.  The first one was about $30 but I had absolutely no silk ribbons.  She also requires that you have hoops large enough to cover the whole project.

Thanks for stopping by!  Talk to you soon!


1 comment:

  1. You are really going whole-hog into the Crazy Quilting. Our guild's newsletter had an article about starting a Crazy Quilting Group. Did you see it and call Alice?

    ReplyDelete