Pages

Monday, June 5, 2023

Birthday 52 - Philly Trip Episode 1

If we go to the Way-back Machine, we remember that I gave my brother Luke my very first applique quilt as a gift.  Way. Back. Machine.  In October '21, it was discovered that he and his lovely wife Lil, had been using said quilt as their bed cover ever since.  We're talking 15 years, maybe?  And, here's the kicker, it was a lap quilt.  That's love and devotion.  They had taken SUCH good care of it!  However, it was determined that they were due for an update.  Their only request was, if it wasn't too much trouble, could it be large enough for the bed.  How could you not LOVE these people?!

I remember deciding to use Dawn Heese's pattern "Vermillion".  I remember choosing the fabrics & ordering enough neutral backgrounds.  I remember starting the applique tulips.  Then Rich died the following February.  My next memory of the quilt is that the blocks were finished and I was arranging the blocks at my first "social outing" after he died.  I have no memory of sewing the blocks.  I know I did them, because, they were done and I was fresh out of sewing elves.  Then I flipped my life around, landed and remembered that Luke & Lil were still using a tiny quilt on their bed.  So, I had Heidi Shelton quilt the top for me.  She did a great job!.  As I was sewing on the binding, I got a text from Luke asking if the quilt was close to done or should he just go visit Target.  I'm proud to say I was able to ship it a day or two later!  So, I just want to thank Luke for providing such comfort in what was my most horrific time.  I'm confident that having this project to work on helped me through some really tough moments.  Love you bunches, Bruh.

The next week was my Birthday trip to Philadelphia!  Very exciting times and I was READY for a vacation.  Strangely, it was cheaper to fly to Harrisburg than to Philly.  Don't ask me, I don't make the rules.  We drove to Philly that same day.

We rented a tiny Air BnB in the Rittenhouse Square area.  I had never heard of it but when I got home, I watched Sr. on Netflix and Robert Downey Sr. mentions it as a quirky little area.  We liked it, seemed pretty central to everything we wanted to do.

I'd never been to Philly.  I fell in love with the architecture.  I won't bore you with ALL the photos.  It's a lot.  I'll try to be selective but, you know, I really loved it all.
The street art is everywhere!



Obviously, we had to do Philly Steak Sandwiches our first night.  We tried a place called Jim's on South Street that had been recommended but it was temporarily closed.  So we WALKED to Little Italy and ate at Geno's.  The line was down the middle of the street, blocking traffic.  The locals were super happy about that...  And, we saw that the garbage collectors actually have to get out of the truck and lift the trash themselves into the back of the truck.  Which did explain why everyone had trash sitting on the sidewalks by the street.  Then we ate at the cannoli/ ice cream place next door, because, it was required.  Have you seen Somebody Feed Phil?  We saw the taco place he visits in the Philly episode but it was also closed because the owner was at a culinary school or something.  Then we had to WALK back to Rittenhouse Square.  We clocked 8 miles on our first day, airports included.
On our way back, we passed almost China Town.  I thought it was China Town, but the map suggested it wasn't.   The Chinese writing on the street signs and businesses begged to differ.  It was starting to get later in the day & we went down a couple streets that I didn't feel the need to hang out in too long...


All was well.  We made it back to adventure another day.  


Okay guys, this was a 6 day trip.  I'm going to break it up so it's not super overwhelming all at once.  Feel free to tag along, I'll label the posts with numbers to help keep track.  If you choose to pass: Thanks for stopping by!  Love you!  Spoiler alert, I had a great time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment