Pages

Monday, June 5, 2023

Birthday 52 - Philly Trip Episode 2

My birthday landed on Memorial Day this year.  It does that from time to time.  Shawn declared I had carte blanche on the activities for the day.  Just the way I like it.  I chose History Day.  First stop was Independence Hall.  I forgot to pre-buy tickets and since it was a holiday weekend, we couldn't get any.  You can still tour the other buildings and grounds, just not the main building.

I need to mention that the weather was absolutely perfect the whole trip!  It was low 80s at this point.
We did tour the East Wing.  These were replicas of the original desks and chairs.
Upstairs, some of the chairs from this room are original.
The ceiling was magnificent! 
The king of France's gift to us.  LOL.  What a guy!
The first Library of Congress!



They were having a lovely Memorial Day tribute in the main square.

The Liberty Bell.  I chose not to stand in the long line to go inside.  I was the Birthday Girl and I had that power to wield! 
We had lunch at the Bourse Food Hall, basically across the street.  There was a Roman style pizza place called Bricco, that was fantastic!  10/10
Couple blocks from there, we visited Ben Franklin's Grave where another Memorial Day tribute was taking place.
I had previously used the restroom at the same time as the lady in the big pink skirt.  My questions were now answered.

The big man, himself.
So, Rich was a BIG Ben Franklin fan.  He very much admired his contributions to the birthing of our nation.  So, I'm thinking heavily about Rich as we ponder the holiday, the place.  At that moment, Hunter and Carmen send pictures of Miles placing a flag at Rich's plaque.  I absolutely lost it.  So, there I am in Christ Church burial ground, surrounded by Revolutionary cosplayers, ugly crying on my birthday.  To his credit, Shawn was very sweet and understanding.  I think it's important to share that Shawn is REALLY supportive when it comes to me dealing with my grief and has really been integral in my healing process.  Then, they played taps and had a 21 gun salute.  The end.  I'm done.  I needed to get out.  I would have run out of there, but I was old and tired.  I did snag a Ben Franklin Christmas ornament before fleeing.
On the way back to our apartment, we found the real China Town.  Looks just like almost China Town, except there is a big fancy arch.
They have a really fancy City Hall.
I like to think Ben is asking George to dance.
Love Park
The Rocky stairs are at the base of the building in the distance.  I was NOT walking that far for that non-sense.  I was Birthday Girl, wielding power, left and right.

Beautiful gate to a teeny tiny garden in the middle of the city.
We ate dinner at The Dandelion.  Think English Pub style, our table was up in the third story that had a very cute dog theme.  But, 3 flights of stairs, this was not mentioned when making the reservation.  Shawn and I barely survived the walk down the stairs.  Relaxing and enjoying dinner had given our legs JUST enough time to seize up and cramp...
Cute though, right?
I couldn't make up my mind on the type of birthday cake I wanted.  So, Shawn, I think jokingly recommended I get them all.  So I did... they were all as delicious as they were beautiful.  (Not all eaten on the same day)  Day 2 we clocked 6 miles.


 

1 comment: