Pages

Friday, November 20, 2020

Baby Palooza

I'm so super excited to show the baby stuff I've been working on the past several months.  Rich's daughter is due in early January and the baby shower is this weekend.  Everything has been gifted and opened, so I can finally share all the things I've been working on.

The first thing I did was make this Harry Potter Cube.  It's a free pattern on Pinterest if you'd like to make one for yourself.  Alyssa is a huge HP fan and I tried to do something she would find fun.  As most of you know, I'm a huge fan, too!  Something that I love about modern baby stuff is that it's not super baby themed.  I would have liked to do similar when my kids were babies. 
I found these super fun ribbons on Etsy that all have a HP theme.  The golden snitch has crinkly stuff inside.
The Quidditch field is made with wooden teething rings.
The Hedwig panel was the hardest one to do.  There was a national shortage of elastic at the time and I couldn't make the pouch the way it was supposed to be made but I think I got it done.  Clearly the baby owl is removable and Hedwig's wings have velcro to hold him in.
Then there's the Hogwarts emblem.  I'm really happy with the whole thing.💓
I had to miss the baby shower because of the pandemic.  Her mom is hosting a "Drive Thru" shower this weekend.  We couldn't justify driving to Iowa just to drive by her mom's house & wave hi.  So, instead I baked cookies and shipped them.  The invitations were really cute and said something about welcoming a little pumpkin so I went with pretty pumpkins.  The little rose is from a fondant mold, the rest was piping.
This was the first time I've used real egg whites instead of merengue powder for my royal icing.  It didn't harden as well but I liked the flavor a lot better.  I used a gift tag cutter for the base of the bottle cookie.  They've been "quality controlled" after shipping and passed inspection.
The onesie wasn't as successful as I had hoped.  I used a lace technique for the first time on the sleeves.  I think this would have been more successful using merengue powder.  Also, the green and cream frostings were different thicknesses so the dots didn't smooth into the green like I wanted them to.
The peach dots were more successful.  I didn't want them to be as 90s country as they turned out but, there you go.  It is what it is.  They're delicious and that's what really matters.  I've literally been using this cookie recipe since Alyssa was 6 years old.  Not sure if she remembers them from that far back.
I really wanted to do some burp rags.  They're super useful and a fun way to be creative.
I bought some fabric diapers and basically raided my ribbons and rick rack.
They were fun.  I liked the idea a using fabrics that weren't necessarily baby themed.
Last but certainly not least, the quilt.  I didn't want to go super fancy because I hope that it gets used.  A lot.  I want this thing to be barely hanging together by a thread when the baby is a middle schooler.
I really had trouble deciding what to do.  I was hoping for HP but I didn't like any of the fabric that was available in the US.  I just couldn't bring myself to spend $20/yard for fabric that was going to be pooped on in the near future...
Melissa gave me the best advice while I was stressing out about it.  She said that I should make it about me so that the baby knows what Grandma Heather is about.  When I was done crying ugly tears, I found the baking mice.  My spirit animals, each and every one.
I can't get enough of them.
I hope that baby Lucy always feels the love that this was all made with.
And with that, my friends, it's time to find my butter bed and & take my nap...

5 comments:

  1. Fun job on your HP cube. I think the cookies were really cute but I don't know how they tasted. You really should have let me taste-test them myself! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which part of this post I liked more! The HP cube is inspired - I would like one of those myself!! And those cookies look so yummy (and almost too pretty to eat). And the quilt with those adorable little mice - I wouldn't mind a me-sized quilt with that fun fabric.

    ReplyDelete